By Eva Luem
Nail trends have been driving beauty for the past few years, and the latest incarnation is matte nail polish. Matte formulations are making a major statement this fall.
Once, like dark nail polish, the territory of grunge rockers and metal heads, matte polish is sweeping the scene led by the innovative Knock Out Cosmetics with their launch of Flatte nail polish. Knock Out Cosmetics, the creation of makeup artist Mike Potter more popularly known for creating the hair and makeup for productions of Hedwig & the Angry Inch, is pioneering the need for variety in our nail polish, and not just with unexpected color, but texture as well.
Here is the WhoWhatWhere for Fall Matte Nail Polish:
KO Flatte – New fall colors in the signature matte are Concrete, a dull matte minimalist grey and Pool, a punky turquoise blue. Polish just right for the fashion forward and the bold trendsetter. http://www.koknockout.com
OPI Matte – is available in OPI’s six most iconic shades including top picks – Alpine Snow, Russian Navy and most wanted Lincoln Park After Dark. The fashionista set has a nail polish update without having to change their color. http://www.opi.com
Zoya Matte Velvet Collection: is available in three colors which differ in that they include a shimmer element to complement the matte, giving the velvety effect. Colors include: Posh (a deep burgundy shimmer), Loredana (a charcoal shimmer), and Dovima (a black shimmer). PERFECT for the True Blood crowd! http://www.zoya.com
Some tips for pulling off the matte nail polish look:
1) Begin with a generous amount of polish on brush and push across the surface of the nail with the brush fanned out – matte polish does not look great sheer, the more product the better.
2) Use as few strokes as possible, the matte finish emphasizes ridges and streaks, and does not look kindly on imperfections
3) Matte surface tends to dry faster, so the quicker you work the better
4) To maintain the matte finish, do not use any base coat, top coat or drying drops.
5) Voila! Fashionable, mysterious and sexy nails with a little masculine-meets-feminine edge.