By Joanna Lee
Florescent colors of chartreuse, blue, and tangerine lit up the runway at the Nanette Lepore F/W 2012 show. At a first glance, the collection seemed to have a proper preppy feel, but at a second, the colors, psychedelic prints, and beading offered a new edge. The inspiration, described backstage as “Oscar Wilde at a disco party”, was certainly 70’s and played out to the max in silhouette and detailing, making each look vibrant and alive. No doubt about it, Fall 2012 will definitely not be a boring season.
Adding to the vibrancy of the collection through his teased out ponytail creations, was hairstylist Rolando Beauchamp from Bumble and Bumble. He wanted to give the models a “downtown tough girl” sort of look, which turned out to be quite fun and in fact, very downtown. The look is relatively simple to recreate and shouldn’t take any more than 20 minutes.
1. Prep hair with Thickening Hairspray and blow-dry.
2. Create a low side part
3. Comb the front of the larger section of the part downwards towards the eye and back behind the ear
4. Pull hair back into a high pony or select a ponytail height that works best for you
5. Flat iron ponytail
6. Begin teasing the ponytail in layers beginning with the bottom and working your way up. Beauchamp suggests when teasing, to tease at the root and work your way out into the length of the hair. Keep in mind, for this look, the more teasing the better!
7. Flatiron pieces again if necessary, using a quick light motion
8. Spray the finished look with Bumble and Bumble Does It All Hairspray
Makeup was done beautifully by James Kaliardos from MAC Cosmetics, who selected just the right colors to not overwhelm with the bright collection. For eyes, Kaliardos uses MAC Nocturnal Plum Eye Shadow and lines the top lid with MAC Bordeaux Lip Liner to create a sultry and feminine look. For added lightness, MAC Reflects Bronze is applied to the inner corners of the eye. This shimmery powder is also applied to the lips, on top of a clear gloss. The model’s faces were kept glowing with MAC Matchmaster Foundation, which works great on any skin type, and finished off with one of Kaliardos’ favorite products, MAC’s Center of the Universe Mineralized Blush.
Deals of the Day