By Candice Sabatini
We all know certain colors that look simply dreadful on us, while others make our complexions appear creamy and gorgeous. Like fashion clockwork, orange has come around again and it’s the hottest color for this spring and summer! It’s one of those sensational shades that makes redheads rejoice when the runways proclaim it as the au courant color of that season. But oh, the good news for non-gingers, which is most of you, orange is sensational on blondes and brunettes and looks great paired with everything from whites to denim.
We’ve selected some key pieces in this season’s hottest color, so c’mon gals, orange you glad it’s spring? We are!
1. A great hobo style handbag is a wardrobe essential, and this one from Dooney & Bourke is a leather lover’s dream. Crafted from durable yet soft leather, this generously sized shoulder bag has a 9” drop for comfort, two outside snap-flap pockets, and a touch of green leather inset detailing and brass hardware. Inside is a zippered pocket, a key hook and open pockets. It zips closed along the top with a tassel trim. Available at Dooney & Bourke boutique, 20 East 60th St, NYC and http://www.dooney.com
2. Inspired by the wisp of a ballerina’s soft skirt as she floats across the stage, this wrap dress from Ann Taylor in melon has wide sashes that drape around you in all the right places, flattering every curve. Available at Ann Taylor stores and http://www.anntaylor.com
3. Call it a long jacket or a short coat, it’s from Ann Taylor and we call it perfect. Throw it over jeans or leggings. Great for a spring chill, a cool summer night, and even those first few days of fall. Available at Ann Taylor stores and http://www.anntaylor.com
4. Keeping in a leather loving mode, we adore these leather covered cuff bracelets from BambooPink by Jude Frances. Sold separately, we stacked two orange with one white for accent, but you can play with them as you please. Available: http://www.bamboopink.com
5. Americans have finally caught on to what the French have known for eons…scarves are good to wear all year long. A summer scarf can liven up even the most basic tee shirt and jeans, and this great looking one in orange and white gingham check is from Lands End. Made from 100% cotton voile and is 86”x30”, it’s the perfect size to twist and roll in a variety of ways that would even make the French jealous. Available http://www.landsend.com
6. Always on trend, Lia Sophia jewelry serves up a trio of sweet little rings. Sold as a set, these matte gold-toned, scalloped edged bands are inlayed with shades of cream, coral and peach with cut crystal accents. Wear alone or stacked together, they’ll compliment all your summer outfits. Available: http://www.liasophia.com
7. The wedge is what’s happening this summer! These jute trimmed orange sandals from Candies for Kohls have a 4.5” wedge on a 1.5” platform and will look adorable with anything from sundresses to jeans. Available: select Kohl’s stores and http://www.kohls.com
8. While everyone is admiring all your pretty jewelry and cute sandals, make sure your nails are admiration worthy too. Dr.’s Remedy Enriched Nail Polish in Tranquil Tangerine will spice up your summer look with this juicy, delicious color. The unique formula was created by a Brooklyn doctor for his pregnant wife who didn’t want to forgo her mani’s and pedi’s, but also didn’t want to be exposed to potentially dangerous chemicals. (c’mon…..gimme an “awwww”…) The result is a toxin-free formula enriched with vitamins for healthier nails. Available in select podiatrist’s offices, http://www.amazon.com and http://www.remedynails.com
9. No color story is complete without the final kiss of lipstick – the finishing touch that gives everything an ooh-la-la perfect pop of color. I’ve fallen in love with Clarins Instant Smooth Crystal Lip Balm in Crystal Coral. It’s a winning trifecta of lipstick, lip-gloss and lip balm. The rich color core has intense long lasting pigments and is surrounded by transparent gloss which gives a great non-sticky shine. It even contains vitamin E to protect lips from nasty free radicals. It has a very slight sweet smell of red fruit and vanilla, but is totally tasteless – love that! Available at Clarins counters in fine department stores, and http://www.clarins.com.