By Candice Sabatini
Last night, Dascha Polanco, who plays Dayanara Diaz in Orange is the New Black lit up the VMA’s (Video Music Awards) in a stunning shade of royal blue and a magnificent mane of sexy hair.
Her gorgeous waves were created by Cynthia Alvarez for Dove Hair. In an email Alvares told us, “Dascha and I chose the look tonight to compliment her outfit. We wanted something modern and fun but not too over the top. The look we chose is a classic style with a twist personalized with the addition of some hair jewelry.” She shared the secrets on how we can create this look for ourselves at home, and it doesn’t look too difficult.
1. To start the look I used Dove Style+Care Volume Amplifier Mousse on her damp roots to add natural volume.
2. I then parted her hair on the side (above the arch of her brow) and began twisting her hair towards the nape of her neck. I secured the end of the twist by criss-crossing two bobbypins.
3. The rest of her hair was blow-dried using a big round brush, pin curling each section as I went along.
4. Once all the hair was pin curled, I placed a few metal cuffs onto the twist to add a unique flair to her hair. I lightly sprayed the twist with Dove Style+Care Flexible Hold Hairspray to tame any flyaways.
5. Next I removed the pins and ran my fingers through the curls to create a windswept effect and loosen up the waves. To set the look, I used Dove Style+Care Extra Hold Hairspray while lightly back-combing the roots. The final effect is a classic look with a little modern edge.
Break out of your usual routine and try this glam look for yourself!