By Jill Goldsberry
2 2 1
Coming out of winter hair can be so dry or brash looking, it may seem like it’ll take a feat of magic to get last summer’s bouncy, shiny hair back.
Not to fear! Turns out an apple a day can do more than just keep the doctor away. Here are a few steps you can do now to ensure your mane is back to its glossiest by Memorial Day.
DIY Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) Rinse
We have heard of the ways this magical wonder tonic can make us feel great on the inside, so it’s no surprise it’s just as helpful on the outside. ACV is the perfect PH-balanced liquid to close the hair cuticle, giving hair a smooth, shiny appearance.
The rinse is ideal for curly hair. The cuticle of curly hair is always slightly open and this rinse will seal the deal for shiny soft curls.
How to make your own Apple Cider Vinegar Hair Tonic
• Grab a spray bottle
• Fill with 4 tablespoons of ACV
• Fill the rest with 1 ½ cups water
• Add a teaspon of your favorite essential oil, such as Aura Cacia Glisten Essential Oil (available at auracacia.com)
Shake together and spritz on damp hair, leaving in for up to a minute before rinsing with cool water.
Shampoo In The Shine
For those of us who don’t have the time for a DIY, thank goodness Avalon Organics Smooth Shine Apple Cider Vinegar Shampoo and Conditioner just launched.
This collection is formulated to remove buildup and gently cleanse overworked hair thanks to Nettle extract, raw Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, Argan and Babassu Oils. The combination of ingredients clarifies scalp and hair, smoothing out the hair shaft.
We tried and tested Smooth Shine Avalon Apple Cider Vinegar Shampoo and Conditioner on natural hair with super shiny results using a blowout and flat iron.
Available at avalonorganics.com
When All Else Fails Seek Out An Expert
Have you ever felt like you are doing all you can to get the swing back into your mane but to no avail? Well, then it’s time to find your hair guru and pray for an appointment!
If that’s not an option, we did the next best thing and sought out celebrity stylist Patrick Wellington of Wellington Hair Spa for 5 tips to get our hair groove back after this horrific winter.
1. Hair has to be healthy and conditioned. Brunette hair reflects light the best; each hair color reflects light differently, affecting the shine.
2. Serum is the best way to protect and give shine to all types of hair. Wellington’s favorite serum is Paul Mitchell Super Skinny. Just a drop on wet hair before blow drying offers incredible shine and protection.
3. Shiny curls are achieved through the usage of organic coconut oil, and a very light hair sheen spray such as Aestelance Lustre Finishing Spray. Also, twisting the hair at night before bed helps nourish and protect curly hair, keeping it healthy.
4. Always condition hair, at least once a week, to maintain moisture balance. A great product to use at home is the Paul Mitchell Detangler.