By Leslie Rice Hart
Summer. Beaches. Skimpy bathing suits. It’s that time of year, again. Who doesn’t love summer, but loathe getting in shape for it? This year, why not work toward six-pack abs, toned arms and a firm tushy while having fun?
- Power walks on the beach are great for burning calories. Walking on the sand will give your legs a challenging workout. Try lunging and squatting, too. You’ll get some exercise in while enjoying the beautiful day.
- Sand activities such as Frisbee and Beach Volleyball are always a blast and are great workouts.
- Swimming is a great activity whether you’re in the pool or ocean. The water acts as resistance for a full body workout. Treading water or swimming laps are both great ways to keep fit.
- Playing a water game or water sport will help kick those calories away and you won’t even know you’re working so hard because you’ll be having so much fun.
- Snorkeling and Kayaking are just two, of many, water activities to do on vacation to get a great workout. For more advanced sports try windsurfing or water skiing.
- Pushups and dips are simple to do before you hit the beach. Drop down on the ground and give me 20! Dips are simple to do on a sturdy and stable bench, chair or table.
- Why not do a few crunches while lounging on a chair or towel?
Be creative. With a little imagination you can find many ways to enjoy yourself and get some exercise in at the same time.