By Irene Fogarty
It’s that time of year when you know you’re going to over indulge. Thanksgiving, Christmas parties, eggnog, hot toddies, sherries, not to mention those “Oh, I shouldn’t” extra glasses of Merlot, Pinot and Barola selections. You get the picture. But forget about your liver for one second. Think about your skin.
On top of the extra alcohol, you’re in a boiling hot apartment, you work in a dry office, and you face bitterly cold weather that slaps your skin around every morning. What you need is to hydrate your skin. The best way to care for skin, especially older skin, is to hydrate it, help retain its moisture, exfoliate it, and nourish it with antioxidant-rich bioflavonoids, which are found in most fresh fruits and veggies. Your diet is vital so if you don’t eat enough greens, it’s time to start.
Here are a few of my best hydrating tips to keep your skin moist, protected, and younger looking this holiday season.
1. Buy a humidifier. Your skin won’t feel as taut in the morning.
2. Make or buy your own mineral water spritzer to freshen up your skin throughout the day. Keep it on your desk and spritz yourself any time you feel you and your skin need a “perk me up”.
3. Use aloe vera gel after the shower on your face and body. It’s a wonderful all-natural moisturizer.
4. If possible, drink a juice with ginger, aloe vera, vitamin E, and wheat germ oil.
5. When you deep cleanse your skin, be sure to use a natural washcloth so you also exfoliate your skin as your remove your cleanser.
6. Add wheat germ oil (rich in vitamin E) to any cream or moisturizer.
7. Be sure to use a good eye cream before you face cold mornings.
8. Likewise, be sure to dab a little sunscreen on your cheeks and forehead. (There are plenty of all-natural formulas you can get now that won’t block your pores or irritate your skin. Check out the following sunscreen lotions: Dr. Hauschka, Laveré, DDF, Korres and Kiehl’s.)
9. First thing in the morning, drink a large glass of water. You’ve heard it all before. The eight glasses…but seriously, there’s nothing like water. Have a glass to down your two Udo’s Choice Oil Blend supplements with or after your breakfast. These rich-in-fatty-acids oil capsules will moisturize your skin from the inside. (Remember, it’s the biggest organ you have!)
10. Treat yourself to a facial. There’s nothing like the sensation of hands massaging your skin, shedding your dead skin cells, extracting dirt, fighting the damage of free radicals, and pampering your pores with nutritious, moisturizing masks. Treat yourself to a good facial. My top choices? Well, need I say Susan Ciminelli (Bergdorf’s on the 9th Flr)? For the best pores in town, check out Sava Spa (up on 186th St) and Kimberly Sayer of London, who gives incredible facials at the Benjamin Hotel.
11. Try to reduce your coffee intake, supplementing herbal teas instead. Anything with burdock root, dandelion, or nettle is great for purifying skin.
12. Finally, if you must have that extra one or four glasses of merlot, be sure to have a glass of water in between each glass. This way you’ll keep hydrated throughout the night, and you and your skin won’t feel as dehydrated in the morning. Cheers!
Deals of the Day