By Irene Fogarty
“Let thy food be thy medicine and thy medicine be thy food”
– Hippocrates, Father of Medicine 460-377 BC
I’m over summer. I mean it’s almost August and the back to school ads are already popping up. Plus the thought of winter woolies and wearing cool knee- high boots isn’t so bad. But before we long for less hot n’ humid weather, perhaps we should rid our systems of some of the summer damage we’ve subjected our delicate stomachs, bladders and livers to. Not that any of us ever over-indulge, right?
Just to be on the safe side, why not try a Jill Pettijohn cleanse? Your liver, heart and wallet will love you for it. In 5 days you’ll be able to eliminate toxins, boost your immune system and give your digestive tract a rest for once! By removing toxins, your body gets a chance to cleanse and rejuvenate. Plus, you will physically feel lighter. Remember the fastest way to restore wellness is to stop putting those things that cause harm and instead feed the body with healing foods to help repair and rebuild. I know this because I did a JP cleanse recently and discovered that I love my food more than I realized.
The JP cleanse is very simple. You literally go to the website (www.jillpettijohn.com), check the dates for the starting week (usually Mon-Fri), submit your address, pay with PayPal, (or send a check) and you’re done. For about $400 you’ll get 6 different beverages a day for five days straight. That’s thirty juices at about $11 each which includes the delivery. So it’s very reasonable… you will see just how much you will save in five days. No cups of coffee, no croissants, no tips in restaurants, nothing. Plus, you never have to think about what I’m going to have for lunch or dinner today? Sushi? Salad? Oh no, you’re going to have one of the juices and you’re going to drink it all and long for the next one in about two hours! Because believe me, this isn’t as easy as you think.
There are certain basic things, like chewing, that you begin to really miss. This cleanse is all liquids so you don’t get that “full” feeling. You need to psych yourself up and say, “OK, the next five days are going to be a challenge,” but a worthwhile one, in my opinion. One thing I found was that you need to “warn” friends that if you do meet them, you can only have water or a tea (decaf of course). If this is too much of a temptation, then meet them after the cleanse is over. It’s hard, but hey it’s only five days and think of the years of over indulgence you’ve put your poor body through.
A few tips to make the most of this cleanse…and to get through it.
1. Drink lots of water during this time. Have a bottle by your bed and make sure you drink it first thing in the morning.
2. Drink each of the 6 beverages in the right order (it’s a digestion thing) every 2-3 hours from the time you receive them until no later than 8 pm. At least 2 hours before bedtime.
3. You can warm the savory, soupier juices if you like. Just don’t microwave!
4. Love our cup of Joe in the morning? Try and eliminate a week before the detox. To really benefit form this, you can’t include caffeine. Substitute green tea for the coffee.
5. Obviously if you have any major health issues, you should talk to your doctor first. If you’re pregnant, diabetic or taking certain medications, this is not for you.
6. Remember fasting is not for everyone, and certain conditions do not recommend it.
7. If you feel nauseous, fatigued and a little depressed, welcome to toxicity. As you cleanse, you’re eliminating all the negativity as well as “poisons” from the body so it’s a very “draining” time, both physically and emotionally.
8. If you have some energy during these five days, do go to the gym for a little cardiovascular or yoga…nothing too strenuous.
The one thing I learned from all of this is that fasting is much tougher than I ever expected. I realize all the times I graze, all the times I love my coffee, and all the times I think I’m eating healthy and I’m not. I also realized that fasting affects everything: your mood, your energy levels, your schedule, your social life and your appearance! You really need to be focused and disciplined. The fact that you pay for it helps you from giving in or breaking it all for a slice of pizza. I found I that I was determined to stick with it, even when I was a total crab and felt so “sorry” for myself.
The good news is that it will make you think about everything you eat in the future. After the detox I really felt lighter. I took a 22 hour flight the following day and I didn’t touch the airport food (bought my own supplies). In fact. I wasn’t even tempted to have my usual mini-bottle of wine. This nutritional cleanse cleaned my system of a lot of “crap” as well as bad habits. Even if my good behavior only lasted for a few days!
And if you’ve never heard of Jill Pettijohn, the Kiwi who has played private raw food chef to the likes of Donna Karan (who lost over 40 pounds) and other New York celebrities and regulars like me, you will. Pettijohn has made headlines in many places, from New York Magazine (this July) to Vogue. What I like is if you have any questions, you can just call her for help and she’ll get back to you. She’s extremely knowledgeable and can tell you what’s normal and what isn’t when it comes to how you feel when you’re on her cleanse. Her motto? Eliminate and Illuminate!
Give her a call today: 212-945-9411, visit her website: http://www.jillpettijohn.com or email her at [email=info@ jillpettijohn.com]info@ jillpettijohn.com[/email]
Deals of the Day