By Irene Fogarty
I’m a hands-on type of gal: I love to give facials. Not that I’m a professional or anything, but since I cherish that feeling of healing hands on my face and I’m fortunate enough to experience facials regularly, there’s nothing nicer than to give one back. And since so many readers ask me how can I give myself a quick facial, I thought I’d give you a simple, safe and all-natural recipe that will clean your pores in less than 30 minutes. And just remember it’s not only relaxing, it cleanses your pores from the damage of extreme temperatures, pollutants and free radicals, which can wreak havoc with your complexion.
Which herbs for your skin type?
– Dry skin: Lavender, mint or calendula.
– Sensitive skin: Calendula, chamomile, or comfrey
– Oily skin: Mint, lavender, rose and/or witch hazel
Do It Yourself Steam
1. Tie your hair back so face is full exposed.
2. Wash your face as usual. Use warm water and preferably an all-natural cleanser. Dab gently to dry with face cloth or towel.
3. Place herbs (which ever one works for your skin type) in a small pot of water. Bring to boil, (don’t over boil – it can destroy the herbs), reduce heat and simmer for 7-10 minutes.
4. Place pot of steaming water on a holder. With towel make a tent, making sure your head is over pot to get as much steam as possible.
5. Keep face over steam for 10-15 minutes. Be sure you’re a good 12 inches away from pot, so you don’t scald your face or break blood vessels if you’re rosacea prone.
6. Rinse face with cool, not freezing cold, water.
7. Follow with witch hazel or rose water to close pores.