Coming off of a season of holiday parties (the best part of the season, apart from the cookies, carols, and general holiday cheer), can be depressing. You might find yourself asking, “What do I have to live for?” Ok that’s a bit dramatic. But certainly, the Polar Vortex isn’t helping all of this, especially when it comes to scrounging up motivation to do your makeup or hair for the day. We’re here to tell you that even if you don’t have a special evening to look forward to after work, you should act like you do because just the act of beautifying, whether for a reason or not, can bring back that not-so-forgotten cheer.
With the help of some pros, here are a few pointers to keep your hair looking great from morning to night, whether you’ve got a post work date or just want to look a little less troll-like amid the frigid temps.
Make your hair work for you. Just like a blowout can last a few days, the right styles can help your hair make it though multiple days without washing or heat styling. Celebrity hair stylist and founder of Femme Coiffure Hair Spa, Raphael Reboh, showed us three days of style that start with a simple top knot.
Day One/Top Knot: Sweep clean and damp hair into a top ponytail that sits at the top of the head. Smooth the edges and remove any bumps/lumps to create a sleek foundation. Separated three sections of hair and tightly braid all the way down. Wrap the braid around the ponytail base and secure with hairpins.
Day Two/Tight Waves: Gently remove hairpins, unbraid the hair and remove the hair tie. Finger comb the hair downward and smooth out any frizz with a light hair serum or nutrient-rich dry shampoo.
Day Three/Boho Half Up-Half Down: Create drama by adding a fun hairline braid, a sparkly hair pin to a side-swept look, or a holiday-inspired headband.
This hairstyle how-to will create a look that can last three to five days without washing the hair at all – now that’s something that should encourage you! With a little dry shampoo and dry conditioner, hair will get a healthy new shine and your product build-up will be gone.
Create a style that will last from morning to night. So you do have an event tonight amid the February doldrums. Can’t be bothered fixing your hair in the bathroom or at your desk? Aveda Global Creative Director, Antoinette Beenders, shows us a fancy twist on a classic ponytail.
1. First, prep hair with Aveda Smooth Infusion Style-Prep Smoother and blow dry straight with a round brush.
2. Flat iron hair in sections, beginning at the back of the head and moving forward. Spray a light coat of Aveda Air Control Hair Spray to each section before ironing to ensure a sleek finish.
3. Part hair across the crown of the head, creating two sections. Gather the bottom section into a ponytail at the nape of the neck and secure with elastic.
4. Part the top section of hair on the right side of the head at a slight diagonal, creating two sections of hair
5. Separate a small section of hair from the back of the right section with a fine-toothed comb. Saturate each section with Aveda Control Force Firm Hold Hair Spray and comb back toward the nape of the neck, tight to the head. Layer each section over the previous to create a sleek, smooth side. Gather this section at the nape and cross over the top of the ponytail and clip.
6. Repeat the process on the left section, but coat each section of hair with Air Control Hair Spray for a softer, contrasting texture.
7. Gather the left section and cross over the ponytail. Release the right side, wrap ends under the ponytail and tie into a knot. Secure with hairpins. Use a flat iron to flatten any loose ends and create a sleek, cohesive ponytail.
8. Using a color brush, paint the right side of the hair with a generous layer of Brilliant Retexturing Gel to create a liquid effect.
Now that you’ve got a few pointers for looking good despite feeling crappy, we assure you that will change. Looking good equals feeling good – so whatever it takes these next few weeks (errr, months…thanks groundhog), be sure to do it. You’ll thank yourself later.